Elma Electronic UK is looking for a Business Development Manager, reporting to Sales & Marketing Director.
Due to expansion plans and continued growth, Elma is looking for the right person to fill a newly created position of Business Development Manager – Systems (Industrial). The successful candidate must be driven to succeed and be a “go-getter”. Management of day-to-day business with existing customers combined with the development of new business make this position an exciting proposition for the right candidate. Elma has a very solid footprint in the Aerospace and Defence industry so the target candidate for this position is someone with a background of selling a “system level” product into Industrial applications. Specifically, someone who is well versed and connected in the world of Renewable Energy, Power Generation or HVDC networks would be advantageous.
Office location is Bedford, England
Place of work
Home office (with day trips to the office as required)
Scope of role
To source, target, develop and win new business for Elma Electronic UK in the Industrial sector. To identify, qualify and build solid, high-level relationships with new business prospects in order to promote and sell the company’s portfolio of products and services in order to meet agreed targets.
Mid to longer-term this position will develop to provide more direct support to the Sales & Marketing Director covering activities including: month-end reporting, marketing tasks, some management of the external sales team etc.
- To actively and professionally manage the entire sales cycle from lead generation and lead management to prospecting, arranging appointments, preparing proposals and presentations, negotiating and closing new business opportunities.
- To meet (and exceed) Orders, Sales & Gross Margin targets as set by the Sales & Marketing Director.
- To build the profile of Elma within the Industrial sector.
- To ensure that all sales opportunities are fully captured and fully explored.
- To build, manage and maintain a substantial pipeline and to ensure that all pipeline activity is accurately documented and kept up-to-date in the companies CRM system (Dynamics 2012).
- To provide timely response and exceptional levels of service to all enquiries.
- To thoroughly research and understand prospects, products, competition, industry, marketing goals and objectives, overall business requirements, and to advise customer and prospects accordingly on the best mix of products and services required to meet these objectives.
- To create polished proposals, presentations and other documentation for customers and internal departments, in line with company procedures.
- To respond to enquiries, Requests For Proposals (RFPs) and other requests for information in a timely and organised manner.
- To follow-up open quotations with a view to closing the business as a matter of priority.
- To attend meetings with prospects as required.
- To work closely with internal departments to ensure full capture of requirements from Engineering/Design through to Production and delivery to the customer.
- To represent Elma at industry events when required and to represent the company and its products and services at all times in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- To provide a monthly, rolling Orders and Sales Forecast based in the managed pipeline.
- To provide a monthly sales report on activity and performance, including attendance and input at the monthly sales meeting.
- To freely share knowledge, insight, best practice and ideas.
- To provide support to the rest of the external sales team in identifying and winning new business.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years in a direct sales position in the Industrial sector.
- A proven and impressive track record of developing new business.
- High level sales experience specifically within a product design and manufacturing environment.
- Experience of selling products requiring design and manufacture.
- Proven listening, negotiating and influencing skills.
- Numerate and literate with excellent communication skills. Able to deliver clear and concise ideas to both internal departments and directly with customers and the ability to produce top quality written proposals and presentations.
- Analytical, with the ability to interpret information quickly.
- Excellent project management and planning skills.
- Proactive and highly organised, with strong time management and planning skills, meticulous attention to detail and a proven ability to multi-task.
- Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under high pressure.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision and thrive both on own initiative and as part of a team.
Note: If you are interested in the position, please send your CV and covering letter explaining why your skills and experience match Elma’s requirements for this position to:
Successful applications will be contacted within 2 weeks of receipt of their application.